Hamsters need quite a few things to keep them happy, but one of the top things they require are some good hamster chew toys. Like cats need a cat tree to help keep their nails sharp and trimmed, a hamster needs a chew toy to keep their teeth not only trim but clean as well.
This article will discuss the top hamster chew toys based on ratings, design, and the entertainment they offer to these small house pets. For each of the products presented, we will mention the materials used, dimensions, durability, and their pros and cons as well as the opinion of other buyers.
6. Kaytee Superpet (Pets International) Apple Orchard Chew Sticks
You can’t go wrong with these hamster chew toy as there is no hamster out there that can resist a real apple wood stick. This chew toy is made of all-natural apple wood (not man made), and each individual stick (there are ten of them per pack) comes with a tiny hole in the center for you to stuff it with treats or to place a pet-safe rope through and hang it in you furry friend’s cage. These chew toy will keep your pet’s teeth clean, its mouth filled, and its mind busy and entertained for hours.
- Most users are content that their tiny rodents keep gnawing on these real apple sticks.
- Some users have complained about their Syrian hamsters not liking this chew toy
- A common complaint is that picky hamsters might no longer want to gnaw on the toy if the apple smell is gone
5. Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler (Mini)
The Kaytee Nut Knot Nibbler is a colorful ball-shaped hamster chew toy made of all-natural wood bars, colored with natural dyes that your beloved fur-ball can gnaw on for hours on end. To make the chew even more enticing, the manufacturer has added a chewable wood ball to the middle of the toy. As your hamster is gradually destroying it, you can stuff it with treats, to keep it interested. It is perfect for hamsters to gnaw their teeth down, keep them busy, and prevent them from munching on the cage.
- Most users have reported that their hamsters went crazy chewing on this chew toy especially if they added a treat near the ball first
- Other users have complained that their hamsters showed no interest in the toy, especially dwarf hamsters
- A common complaint is that there is too much dye on the toy, which might not be safe for small animals; pet owners recommend soaking the toy in water overnight to get as much dye out before giving it to your hamster.
4. Niteangel Wooden Ladder Bridge, 9″
This all-natural wooded hamster chew toy has caught our attention because it looks kind of nice in a hamster’s cage, it is adjustable and multipurpose. It can serve as a tiny shelter, exercise prop, and chew toy as the materials are safe and natural. The best part is that the bridge can molded into various forms like a dome-shaped cozy nest, a platform, or a tunnel. The Niteangel Wooden Ladder Bridge is made of wood sticks that are safe for chewing. Most hamsters love to hide under the bridge or sit on top of it, and occasionally gnaw on it.
- Most users are glad that they bought this toy as it can work as a versatile and all-natural prop for their hamsters; some pets like to hide under it, while others enjoy crawling on top of it or use it as a tunnel
- The bridge is just 4″ wide, so it is rather small for some rodents; it’s a perfect fit for dwarf hamsters, though
- The toy is a great exercise toy, but hamsters might lose interest fast in chewing on it.
3. B&P Natural Wood Hamster Toys (Little Train)
The B&P Natural Wood Hamster Little train is an actual, small wooden train, perfect for dwarf hamsters. This item sets itself apart from other hamster chew toys because it is made out of natural wood. Besides being a great chewable option, it is also something that the hamster can climb on and have fun with.
- Users report this product is perfect for dwarf or smaller sized hamsters. Syrian hamsters are too big to enjoy getting inside the train, but they do enjoy chewing on the train.
- Some have also found that their hamsters particularly enjoyed burrowing underneath it.
- A common complaint is that the item is not as durable as presented and can either arrive or come apart easily, which could lead to the hamster chewing on the glue.
2. Niteangel Wooden Interactive Toy Ball for Small Animals
A hanging toy ball is always fun for any small animal, and it can highlight the fun factor when it comes to hamster chew toys. This particular product offers your small house pet the ability to climb, go through multiple holes, and also chew on the same toy. A durable toy, it can also help develop your pet’s imagination and intelligence.
Also, it can be used to entertain other small animals as well, for example, guinea pigs, chinchillas, or gerbils.
- Some users state that dwarf hamsters, in particular, seem to most enjoy this product. They enjoy both chewing and climbing the wooden ball.
- This product can be difficult to wash and sanitize since it can not be cleaned with bleach or any other chemicals.
- Its durability is difficult to assess since hamsters tend to chew it up with a matter of days.
- Several customers warn that through chewing, the hamsters can create and then encounter sharp edges in the wood.
1. Kaytee Large Ka-Bob Treat Dispensing Small Animal Toy
The next thing better than an interactive chewable toy is one that can also offer food to chew on. This product features chewable wooden pieces shaped like fruits and vegetables. It also gives pet owners the opportunity to skewer in real fruits and veggies that their hamsters can then eat.
This large Ka-Bob treat dispensing toy hangs off of the cage and has a bell at the bottom that twists off. The bell also offers an entertainment aspect as the hamster chews. Kaytee’s treat dispenser toy also comes with a suction cup that can be attached to glass. The item itself can be easily attached to any wire cage.
Some users also state that this chew toy is beneficial for their pet’s intellect, so it could also be a great skills enhancer.
Besides being a healthy and useful toy for hamsters, the Kaytee Large Ka-Bob Treat Dispensing Toy is also great for pets like guines pigs, gerbils, chinchillas, rabbits, and in general, other small house pets.
- Reviews commonly mention the ability to put different items on the skewer and make it vary every day or week.
- The fact that the base material is metal helps make this product more durable since the hamsters can’t chew through it.
- This chew toy can be used for both Dwarf and Syrian hamsters.
- Several customers reported that it does not fit in their cages. However, this product should be easy to use as it offers two ways of hanging it within the cage.
In the article above, we have reviewed three of the best hamster chew toys based on their ratings, design, and the entertainment they can offer to your small house pets. Have you used any of the above, and have thoughts about them? Or perhaps you’d like to recommend other hamster chew toys? Just leave a comment below!
Also, if you would be interested in finding toys or accessories for other pets as well, you can check out the following: